About

The Harwich Masonic Hall located at 42 Ferndale Road, Harwich CO12 3BP is over 100 years old. Hire of this venue is available from £15 per hr and booking details can be found on the Hall Hire page. It is located on the outskirts of old Historic Harwich within walking distance of the Train station, Bus station and many Historic sites.

**Any persons who can contribute towards the HMH Timeline with historic information**

Please contact the webmaster it will be gratefully received and thankfully applied.

HMH TIMELINE

1907

Harwich Masonic Hall was Founded

The Harwich Masonic Hall was acquired for £750 and dedicated by R.W. Prov. Grand Master, Colonel Lockwood in 1907.

1909
1926

Electric Organ

Electric Organ was presented to the Lodge by Bro. Herbert Booth.

1953

The Great Flood

January the Masonic Hall was flooded to a depth of approximately eight feet and for a time we were without a home. Clacton and Manningtree kindly offered us the use of their Temple and we were therefore able to carry on with our work. In October, 1953 we were back again at the Pier Hotel. In an endeavour to raise from Four to Five Thousand Pounds, the estimated cost to restore the Masonic Hall, our Provincial Grand Master launched an Appeal to Lodges in Essex for their assistance.

1954

Harwich Masonic Hall Restoration

A Circular letter was issued by the Prov. Grand Master, to all Lodges in Essex, for funds to help to restore the Harwich Masonic Hall. The estimated cost being £5,000.
Bro. Rev. K. E. Williams, Chaplain, presented the Lodge with an Organ.
Bro. P. M. Fitchew presented the Lodge with a Ballot Box.
W.Bro. Lungley presented the Lodge with the First, Second and Third Degree Tracing 000Boards.

1955

Return to the Hall after The Great Flood

We returned to the Masonic Hall for our September meeting.

1956

Warrant Restoration

The Warrant had been restored after the damage suffered in the floods of 1953, and rehung in the Temple. The restoration had been carried out under the express guidance of W. Bro. Dr. A. G. Duncan Dep. Prov. Grand Master. The cost was £9.9.6.
An emergency meeting was held on the 8th June for the purpose of unveiling a Plaque commemorating the re-opening of the Masonic Hall following the Flood and work of Restoration. R. W. Bro. Canon R. Stafford Morris Prov. Grand Master unveiled a plaque in the Entrance Hall, and then returned to the Temple and unveiled a plaque commemorating the Centenary of the Star in the East Lodge.

1967

Trustee Resignation

W. Bro. C. H. Vail resigned as Trustee of the Harwich Masonic Hall and as member of the Management Committee. He had served the Lodge in this capacity for 39 years.

1987

Heavy Snowfall

In January adverse weather conditions made it impossible to hold a full meeting. Heavy snowfalls made it impossible for the majority of the members to attend.

2013

Hall Renovations

  • The Harwich Masonic Hall was renovated on the outside by volunteers organised by W.Bro. Ken Stapleton and this website was commissioned, developed and built by W.Bro. S.J.Fuller. of Star in the East Lodge.
2020

COVID-19

In March we had our last Meetings due to COVID-19 and all Masonic business was suspended until further notice.

2021

Hall Renovations

  • June – The display cabinets were built and replaced by W.Bro Stapleton and all contents renovated.
  • July – Extensive work carried out in the Temple by W.Bro.Stapleton, Bro Les Bond, W.Bro Stephen Fuller,………………etc.
  • July – New Boiler fitted and new radiators in the Temple.
2021

HMH GRAND OPENING

The HMH opens after coronavirus.

All members invited to celebrate, Organised by Bro Les Bond and his wife Shelley Bond for drinks and buffet.

Scroll to Top